Who we are
We are two experienced, qualified, certificated Early Childhood Education (ECE) teachers who love working with children and care deeply about ensuring that children have a wonderful start in life and that parents can be confident their children are safe and well cared for.
Leisa Rossi - Centre Owner
My career over the last 20+ years has been in education, learning and development, spanning the corporate sector as well as early childhood, secondary, and tertiary eduation. For 10 years prior to starting PK I have held management positions in both the public and private sector. During this time I have developed a strong interest in the field of cognitive and behavioral psychology. I am particularly intersted in how babies and children develop, how the brain develops, and how our different personalities, traits and experiences shape who we become.
I live locally with my husband and daughter in the Bayswater, Devonport area and can’t think of anything more meaningful than caring for children and watching them grow up. I am committed to ensuring we have best in class care and teaching practices in place. I also love the opportunity to be involved in the local community and meet lots of other local parents. Since opening Peninsula Kids I have completed my Graduate Diploma in Early Childhood Education.
BA, Graduate Dip Teaching, PG Dip Bus, Grad Dip ECE
Geli Halbe-Green – Centre Manager
My passion for early childhood education started when I became a parent more than 20 years ago. Watching children grow and learn is immensly rewarding and I am passionate about creating the right environment where children can reach their full potential.
I live on the North Shore with my husband. We have two adult children, Sean and Talisha. Sean is currently on a scholarship in South Carolina in the USA where he is studying towards a sports & science degree and playing football for the 1st division college soccer league. Talisha is currently completing her business and commerce degree and is intending to complete a post-graduate diploma in Early Childhood Education.
Prior to starting at Peninsula Kids I have held various leading roles for more than 20 years. These included being a group tour leader for an Inbound Tourism company, organising and managing tour groups visiting New Zealand. Once I started in the Early Childhood sector I completed my Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood) at the Auckland University of Technology. During my studies I gained a deep understanding of how children learn and how we can best support them. I have enjoyed leading roles as Head Teacher in Babies room as well as Head Teacher in the over 2s area.
I deeply believe when we give our children a good start in the early years we will create the best foundations for their ongoing learning journey throughout life. With the right support, where teachers and caregivers are fully involved through listening, close observation and hearts wide open for the wonder of learning, we can achieve the best outcomes for our young learners.
B Ed (ECE), Registered Teacher
Peninsula Kids Philosophy
Peninsula Kids childcare centre is situated half way between Takapuna and Devonport just off Lake Road. We implement the National Te Whariki Curriculum. The philosophy below embodies our national curriculum as well as some of the latest research in Behavioural and Cognitive Psychology.
Why we do what we do;
- Because children are precious and full of potential;
- Because we know how important your child’s care is to you;
What we believe;
- Children are competent and capable learners;
- Each child is unique and has strengths that must be nurtured;
- Children learn and grow best when they feel safe, secure & happy;
- Children feel safe and secure when they have a great place to be and are well rested & healthy,
- Responsive & reciprocal teacher child relationships help children reach their potential
- Learning is enhanced through interactions that arise spontaneously, as well as specifically planned experiences & activities;
- Developing a growth mindset & self belief ensures your child’s success in life;
How we do what we do;
- By providing a warm, safe, hygienic environment and good nutrition;
- By knowing your child, noticing, recognising and responding to their disposition;
- By talking with you about your child and their learning journey;
- By encouraging your child to make choices and decisions;
- By providing time for child-initiated play and structured learning opportunities;
- Through asking questions to extend children’s thinking and making suggestions to try a different approach;
- Though encouraging your child to explore and try new things;
- Introducing mathematical and literacy concepts in naturally occurring situations
We know that ensuring your child eats all their vegetables at dinner time is not always easy after a busy day. That’s why our onsite cook prepares healthy, nutritious lunches and morning and afternoon teas. No butter or refined sugar is used in cooking. Substitutes such as Olivani, coconut oil, olive oil, fresh fruit & honey are used instead. Babies are offered a mixture of home-made purees.
If your child has special dietary requirements we will discuss these with you when your child enrols, and work together with you to ensure your child gets the nutrition they need each day.
For more information on nutrition please go to http://www.health.govt.nz