Who we are
We are a local family with a little girl of our own who live in the Bayswater Devonport area. My husband Brad, is our IT, Property and Finance Manager. Together, with our teaching team we ensure our building WOF is up to date, our play equipment and resources are of the highest safety standard, our facility is of the highest standard and that we have best in class Emergency Procedures in place.
My career over the last 20+ years has been in education, learning and development. Over the last 10 years I have held management positions, and have developed a strong interest in the field of behavioural and cognitive psychology. I am particularly interested in how babies and children develop, how the brain develops, and how our different personalities, traits and experiences shape who we become.
I love children and can't think of anything better than watching them grow up. Having a childcare centre is a meaningful role for me. I am committed to ensuring we have best in class care and teaching practices in place. I am also really excited about the opportunity to be really involved in the local community and meet lots of other local parents.
BA, Graduate Dip Teaching, PG Dip Bus
Peninsula Kids Philosophy
Peninsula Kids childcare centre is situated half way between Takapuna and Devonport just off Lake Road. We implement the National Te Whariki Curriculum. The philosophy below embodies our national curriculum as well as some of the latest research in Behavioural and Cognitive Psychology.
Why we do what we do;
- Because children are precious and full of potential;
- Because we know how important your child’s care is to you;
What we believe;
- Children are competent and capable learners;
- Each child is unique and has strengths that must be nurtured;
- Children learn and grow best when they feel safe, secure & happy;
- Children feel safe and secure when they have a great place to be and are well rested & healthy,
- Responsive & reciprocal teacher child relationships help children reach their potential
- Learning is enhanced through interactions that arise spontaneously, as well as specifically planned experiences & activities;
- Developing a growth mindset & self belief ensures your child’s success in life;
How we do what we do;
- By providing a warm, safe, hygienic environment and good nutrition;
- By knowing your child, noticing, recognising and responding to their disposition;
- By talking with you about your child and their learning journey;
- By encouraging your child to make choices and decisions;
- By providing time for child-initiated play and structured learning opportunities;
- Through asking questions to extend children’s thinking and making suggestions to try a different approach;
- Though encouraging your child to explore and try new things;
- Introducing mathematical and literacy concepts in naturally occurring situations
We know that ensuring your child eats all their vegetables at dinner time is not always easy after a busy day. That’s why our onsite cook prepares healthy, nutritious lunches and morning and afternoon teas. No butter or refined sugar is used in cooking. Substitutes such as Olivani, coconut oil, olive oil, fresh fruit & honey are used instead. Babies are offered a mixture of home-made purees.
If your child has special dietary requirements we will discuss these with you when your child enrols, and work together with you to ensure your child gets the nutrition they need each day.
For more information on nutrition please go to http://www.health.govt.nz